December 16, 2007

Breakfast of Champions!

FudgeNo, this is not what I had for breakfast, but early Sunday morning found me packaging fudge and gingersnap cookies for the office cookie exchange and various other holiday activities. I can't believe I haven't blogged all week, but while I am usually such a homebody, this week I've been quite the social butterfly and have only been home one night during the week, which I spent baking, as you can see. Hopefully the social obligations will settle down and I can get back to sewing and blogging. I did finish nearly all my Christmas shopping, but now I must get busy at the wrapping station.



I must share my grandmother's gingersnap cookie recipe with you - they are my favorite cookie and even DS #1 who won't eat sweets begs me to make these cookies. They are more of what you would term a molasses cookie because they are soft, not "snappy" but that is what we've always called them. They are easy and delicious and freeze well, if you have any left to freeze! I made a triple batch on Friday night and I love that my daughter can now help me roll the balls - what a time saver, plus, some fun bonding time with my baby girl.



Ginger

GINGERSNAPS



3/4 cup shortening

1 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup molasses (I prefer the Brer Rabbit full-flavor type)

One egg, room temperature

2-1/2 cups flour

2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. ground cloves

1/2 tsp. ground ginger

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp. salt



Melt shortening, cool. Add sugar, molasses and egg - beat. Sift and add to first mixture the flour, soda, cloves, ginger, cinnamon and salt.



Chill the dough 10 minutes.



Form into 1-inch balls, roll in sugar and place on cookie sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes - do not brown, but cookies should be nicely "cracked" on top.



I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!



8 comments:

  1. You busy girl! I was just thinking that I was going to make these cookies with the kids today. They are my personal favorite, plus the kids can do most of the work! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love gingersnaps. Those are my favorites and unfortunately I am the only one to eat them in my house. I have been baking all weekend and wil finish next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I am gonna be as big as a house by Christmas. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the GREAT recipe! My daughter and I will be making cookies this weekend, and this one is going on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, yummy-looking recipe!! I am going to add that to my long list of holiday baking. Thank you so much!! May I borrow your sweet girl to help me roll the balls? I would love to have a kitchen helper! LOL!
    You are such a busy girl - hopefully, you are enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these cookies yesterday. They are WONDERFUL!!!! Thank you so much for sharing. My son and I can't seem to stay away from them. My husband, who is not a big sweets eater, loved them too.
    Merry Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Gingersnaps recipe. I made a double batch, and I'm so glad they will freeze well! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy L... something I can make aboard Seaweed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete