April 28, 2008

Day 4 - Monterey Area

Mybatiks_8 On Monday morning, Nicole and I took a drive down to beautiful Pacific Grove.  Our most immediate destination was Back Porch Fabrics, but we saw some other beautiful things while we were there as well.   Here are the beautiful batiks I bought at Back Porch.  Orange again, what a surprise!  but their orange and pink selection just knocked me over.  There's a great quilt in the Batik Beauties book with a striped, mitered border, and I found the perfect stripe for mine.



-



-



-



Bb After shopping, we blazed down Highway 1 to see as many things as we could in our last full day together and, indeed, we saw some very pretty sights.  This beautiful bed and breakfast is the Seven Gables Inn, with rooms starting at just $200 a night - not too bad for such a beautiful setting, wouldn't you agree?



-



-



-



Ice_2 Look at this beautiful carpet of purply goodness - it's called ice plant, and I've never seen anything quite like it.



-



-



-



-



Waves We continued our drive down the coast, looking at all the beautiful homes and stopping once or twice to try and get a picture of the waves crashing to the shore.



-



-



-



-



-



Bento_2 We had the most delicious lunch at Roy's at the Inn at Spanish Bay, Pebble Beach.  I had the Bento Box and tried sashimi for the first time.  It was melt-in-your mouth delicious.



-



-



-



-





Nicki_2 Nicole posed for a picture next to the beautiful tropical flowers in the hotel lobby.



But back in the car, we had more sightseeing to do.  We swung by the Mission Ranch for a view of the property.  Stopped briefly at the Carmel Mission, visited some friends of Nicole's at a cute little home decor shop, and then up to the Carmel Ranch where Nicole interviewed recently (beautiful place), then home to Ozzie.



-



-



-



-



Ozzie_2 Ozzie ran into the guest bedroom and nabbed a bottle of Benedryl from my tote bag.  We both chased him all around the yard to retrieve the bottle.  Ozzie clearly thought it was a fun game.  The bottle had some puncture wounds, but fortunately, Ozzie didn't get to the contents.



-



-



-



-



Ozzie2_2 Then Ozzie hung out while we laid out the batiks from our earlier shopping trip.   I think he liked Nicole's pile the best.



-



-



-



-



-



-



Sheepbutt Here is the hostess gift I left for Nicole - I asked Nicole Ellison to make an Annie (actually a Nettie) doll using a fabric that Nicole and I have a running joke about.  The doll was adorable and I hope Nicole enjoys having her as a memory of my visit.  I know Ozzie wanted so badly to get Nettie as I was trying to take her picture.  Keep her on a high shelf, Nicole!



11 comments:

  1. you really have to keep your eyes on Ozzie, huh? Did he eat any of your shoes while you were there? That's a sweet Annie doll. I'm glad Ozzie didn't get his teeth on her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the sea pictures. I lived on McNeil Island in Puget Sound for 5 years as a kid and miss the water so much. I am thinking I might need a little Annie myself one of these days. I have always been in love with that dress material that was used. Ozzie is so cute and I can just see the 2 of you chasing him around the yard. LOL. Can't wait to see the batik quilt started. Nancy in WI

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing - that pink striped Batik is gorgeous! Nancy in WI

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that iceplant. We are getting ready to plant some at our house. I'm anxious for it to turn into a purple blanket! I love the Nettie doll. Too adorable. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful trip, and you are a great tour guide! Seeing the iceplant reminds me when we lived in California - iceplant was always my favorite! Your batiks are to die-for gorgeous! Love the photos of the naughty Ozzie, and the Nettie doll you gave Nicole - she's too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love when the iceplant is blooming . . . it's so bright and colorful *s*

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like a great time together..........food, shopping, sewing, site seeing............thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the orange and pink batiks. That is going to be beautiful together. Just think, if Ozzie would have got a hold of that Benadryl he owuld have been sleeping for awhile. Poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously - we have to watch that Ozzie every living second. I won't even tell you what he got into tonight.
    It was such a joy to meet you in person - I am just looking forward to when I can have a proper visit. I'm telling you there are fabulous quilt shops all along highway 80 - you and Nicki must plan a little retreat this Summer. I make a mean watermelon margarita when the temps get into the 100's....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't had a chance to post on Nettie yet, but she and I are becoming great friends. And you better believe that I am keeping her in a safe place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to Lisa from Diana from around Little Rock Arkansas! Happy Quilting! Nicole is the one who let it out that today was your birthday.

    ReplyDelete