February 11, 2010

Civil War Homefront and Thelma

Cw Here are the first 5 blocks for my latest project, Moda's Civil War Homefront kit designed by Barbara Brackman.  I'm doing it as a sample for the shop where I work part-time.  These Civil War fabrics are so beautiful, and the simple star blocks go together quickly.  I hope to make a lot of progress on this over the 3-day weekend.


The blocks will be set on point with one of my favorite blue prints from the collection as the alternate block and beautiful striped setting triangles around the outside.


I want to show you a fun surprise that arrived on my doorstep Wednesday.   My friend Thelma and I shared some fabric for our Toulouse quilts.  We both had a few leftover flying geese from the border, and I want to put them together somehow on the back of my quilt, so Thelma sent a box returning her leftover geese.


Tuffet The geese were not alone in the box.   In typical Thelma fashion, along with them was this amazingly gorgeous Tuffet she made for me using the Maison de Noel fabric.  She even went so far as to use the elegant "M d N" red velveteen for the back of the tuffet.   We both attempted to make flying geese with the velveteen and found it uncooperative, but it is absolutely perfect for the back of a tuffet.  Thank you so much for your generous gift, Thelma.   It will have a place of honor next to my sewing machine, and will always remind me how much fun we had making this project together!



11 comments:

  1. Love the new project. And that tuffet is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear Thelma is becoming a quilt blogging superstar! Love the tuffet, and those Civil War Homefront blocks are fantastic. She is a good friend, and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the tuffet. I just bought the pattern can't wait to make a few. Thanks for posting such great pictures. Its so fun to see all the quilts you've made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small world. I found you through Nicole at Sister's Choice Quilts, and come to find out you work at Keepsake Cottage Fabrics! I lived in Kirkland for 22 years, and moved to Salt Lake a little over 3 years ago. I know Julie well - she used to be my mom's next door neighbor.
    I have to say Keepsake is the best quilt/fabric store in the Seattle area. I love you guys!
    I loved the Toulouse quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pillow, I have heard a lot of good things about that fabric line. Enjoy the new project

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uhm...that tuffet either ate it's way to Seattle or it's getting ready to have some little tuffets....it looks like it's ready to pop!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet tuffet...so pretty in those fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, I have ran out and bought so many things from looking at Nicole's blog and now I found yours through hers and it's apparently dangerous for me too! LOL I just went and found that kit online and ordered it, I have a think for anything Civil War repro. Beautiful quilt. Cute little tuffet too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Homefront blocks are wonderful. That's going to be such a pretty quilt. I just recently took interest in Civil War fabs. I am amazed at how much is out there. Where to start? And what's the difference between Civil War and post-Civil War prints? Can't wait to see this one finished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and the Tuffet's awesome. I have serious Tuffet-envy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh friend, look at that Tuffet. What a treasure! Truly. The fabrics and the piecing both are delightful. So, so sweet. I can only imagine what the velveteen is like. Only imagine. Yeah. Because you didn't take a photo which means t.r.o.u.b.l.e. I can't be responsible for what's to come now...
    Yes, yes, and absolutely double yes with the Homefront. You know, this is going to be really, really beautiful. Your trouble could begin here. Thieving. That's all I have to say. *karendianne.

    ReplyDelete