longarm quilter's blog after she quilted it for another customer. She mentioned a kit available at a local shop. I may have left work early that day so I could race right over and buy one, but - to my disappointment - they didn't have any kits. They did have the pattern, Garden Medallion by Bloomin' Workshop, so I bought one and started planning my quilt. I have quite a bit of Kaffe Fassett fabric stashed, so I started playing. I decided I wanted to make mine larger than the pattern, and included another pieced border.
I love the large, colorful Kaffe prints, but they can be hard to work with. Sometimes the big prints have colors that you don't want in your quilt. Sometimes I changed the fabric in one border, then had to change all subsequent borders to get the look I wanted.
I made hourglass blocks for the fourth border instead of the pinwheels shown on the pattern. I also added a pieced star in the upper left and lower right corners of the quilt. My quilt is 70x70. The pattern without one added border is 63x63.