April 4, 2005

Back from Nirvana

My quilting retreat weekend was fabulous!  I came home so inspired and feeling like I got a lot accomplished.  I did not even stay up burning the midnight oil, so I feel very rested too!



I got 2 quilt tops completely put together, the blocks all made for a third quilt (need to lay it all out on my design wall at home and then sew the blocks together), and got the blocks started on a fourth project!  I've never gotten so much done at one retreat - it felt awesome!  I've really gone back to making simple blocks with beautiful fabrics and letting the fabrics stand out, and I think that is the key to making a quilt quickly.



Anyway, it was a weekend of good conversations, lots of laughs, way too much good food, way too much fabric shopping, and lots of creativity.  It'll be a long 7 months until the next retreat!



I did really miss the kids, so it was nice to get home to see them.  I also arrived home to a pile of packages on my sewing table (eek!).  I got some Cascade 220 for more felted bags, 2 cones of Lamb's Pride yarn from an ebay seller (excellent deals!), some Rowan All Seasons Cotton to make a poncho for my daughter, Nicky Epstein's book Knitted Embelllishments, and a pair of shoes from Penneys.  I also have a package to pick up at the post office - a stash bonanza to be sure!



In other knitting news, I finally got back to my languishing Elspeth.  It is a very simple lace pattern, but Rowan only provides a chart for one repeat, and I could not keep straight how to continue the lace pattern while decreasing for the armholes.  After charting out the entire pattern in Excel, I'm finally at the point of beginning to start the neck decreases on the back piece!  I am just shaking my head wondering why I didn't think of charting sooner.  I was struggling so much with this, I was really ready to give up.  A little bit of time at the computer and I've saved myself many more grey hairs.  I love this project now and can't wait to finish it... oh, but first to make some new charts for the sleeves and the fronts.



1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy you had a great retreat! I can imagine you are totally inspired to make some more quilts. You really have such a talent. :) WTG on getting Elspeth underway!

    ReplyDelete