September 27, 2006

Pincushion of the month

Yesterday I got the email newsletter from the Buggy Barn and found out they are offering a new monthly program of pincushion kits designed by some pretty well-known quilt designers.  What a great idea for those that collect pincushions!  I'm definitely in!!



I finally FINISHED the binding of my nephew's baby quilt, at last!  Boy do I hate the handwork!  But I finished it and attached the label, so the quilt is ready to mail today.  I am so happy to be done, and hope that they will like the quilt.



When I took this quilt to the local shop to show off the longarm quilting, everyone remarked how I basted down my binding.  I asked "Doesn't everyone?" and they all voiced a resounding NO!  One gal remarked that no wonder I hated bindings, because I was basically sewing it twice!  So next time I will try my luck without the basting and see if I can manage to finish it any faster!



5 comments:

  1. HMMM pincushion of the month - what a great idea. I wonder if I need to do that, too. Need to think about that! Glad you finished the binding on the baby quilt - WooHoo! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just signed up for the Pincushion of the Month...sounds like great fun and I love pin cushions. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Thanks for visiting my blog..so thought I would check yours out. I liked all your quilts, nice variety :) Binding? I love binding! Do my borders and I'll do your binding! Actually, have you tried holding your binding down with those little clips (like the kind for the hair?) They hold it perfectly in place without poking you or coming out like pins. My friend just holds the binding down as she sews, but it makes my hand cramp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! You are sewing it twice! I clip down my bindings for sewing using kid sized hair clips. The little metal ones that snap closed. I get them at Target, but they are a name brand, and come 12 for $.99 cents and are these fabulous bright neon colors. I like the kids clips better because they smaller and are smoothed on the edges and powder coated with paint so no rough edges like the quilting binding clips. I use about 10 of them to hold down a good stretch of binding and then un-clip as I sew and add them to the end until I am done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of pincushion of the month! That first one is adorable! How are you feeling these days? Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete