November 8, 2011

And now for something completely different


2011 seems to be my year of conquering old BOMs. Here is one I started in 2007. I am a huge fan of From My Heart to Your Hands sampler patterns designed by Lori Smith. I own a few of her patterns, but the idea of making all those fabric selections was daunting. Then I happened upon Homestead Hearth's Special Programs page and saw they were doing Golden Memories as a Block of the Month program and one of the choices was reproduction fabrics. I signed up immediately!

The first kit of 3 blocks arrived in August 2007 and I immediately pieced them together, loving all the fabric choices. Then - as is my tendency - I started another project, put the new blocks aside as they arrived and collected them in a project box. I even pulled it out last year and gave some thought to completing all of the alternate blocks, which looked very tedious to me. After an hour or so cutting 1-1/4" strips, the project went back inside the box.

This year, though, I decided to finish. I made all 31 tedious alternating blocks and now I am working on the 32 sampler blocks.


For the most part, I really like the fabrics included in the kit, but at the same time, some of the color combinations are not pleasing. The fabrics in block 5 did not look good laid out on my sewing table, and they certainly did not look any better after I sewed them together. Here is my modified block on the left next to the center that I would have ended up with had I used the kit fabrics. I decided to substitute from my stash if I didn't like fabric combinations, and it's been a lot of fun changing fabrics around and using some of my favorites from my collection.

12 comments:

  1. LOVE the new blog header! SEW cute! Now I'm off to save your changed blog addy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous blocks! I am IN LOVE with your new blog design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new look!

    Love the BOM you are working on too...I agree with you though on that last block..your updated version is better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lisa! Love the look of your new blog. We're were on the same wave length, I was in the mood for a new look too! I'm so happy this project is calling to you again, I think it's going to be stunning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog header is about as cute as it gets! Great font... cute all around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your new blog, Lisa! This quilt will be a stunner when you're done! You have a such a great eye for color - I know your own changes will really perk it up!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just came into some Luna Notte fabric, so I came back to your blog to recheck what you did with yours. Lo and behold, you have a brand new blog. Very nice. Good effort on the stashed BOM and really prefer the change you made to that last block you showed. Your Eventide is really lovely. Stephani in TX (Tomazec@aol.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the new look of your blog. Great work on the BOM. I think the setting is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, love your blocks. Lori Smith's designs are always real winners. And I really like your new blog format. I've been wanting to move to Blogger too....does it just transfer your old Typepad posts automatically?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your new blog design. And I love those quilt blocks.

    ReplyDelete